October 2022 - Board Meeting
10/5/2022 - Area 515 Board Meeting
10/5/2022 - Area 515 Board Meeting
- President: Dave
- Vice President: Jake
- Treasurer: Meg
- Secretary: Brad
- Director: Ryan
- Director: Tom
- Director: Carlin - remotely
- It was noted that in the future the board could hold their first official meeting immediately after the member meeting to be more efficient.
- An official welcome was extended to all the new board members. A lyric from "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who was quoted here.
Vote to approve minutes from the September board meetingYes: 7No: 0Result: Passed
- Our annual insurance bill was paid online, but it was decided to review our coverage.
- Our coverage was discussed and it was decided to leave it unchanged.
- It was decided that we should take pictures of everything we have in the space for insurance purposes.
- Investment Policy - Some members pointed out some changes that need to be made to the policy
- One section references a Lehman Index - this should probably be updated to something else
- The option of equities was removed, so in one section where it says 3 options, only 2 are presented.
- Meg said she would look at the problems and find a solution the board can vote on at the next meeting.
- The CEC postponed last night's meeting.
- A CEC email listserv was created, although as of this meeting only members of the list could use it.
- Slack has a non-profit version that gives access to its pro features.
- They held their bridge building activity before the member meeting. Attendance looked sparse, but there were many who excitedly helped eat their snacks. (*Secretary makes innocent whistling sounds here.*)
- A vice-president email address should be created for Jake (and future holders of the office).
- The annual cost of a PO Box is now $176. A few years ago it was only $80-something.
- Nobody is using Trello so reviewing it will be left off future agendas until further notice. In its place here is a list of some big space projects that need to be done.
- Vent fan for the Metal Shop needs to be fixed
- Handle for the front door needs to be replaced. Note: At this point in the meeting, Jake got up, inspected the door and the replacement handle, and started working on the project while continuing to participate in the meeting. Many thanks to him because he completed it by the end of the meeting!
- Soldering class will probably be held in November, Dave will look at his schedule.
- Ryan bought the phase converter to run the surface grinder (or whatever else it may be needed for)
- The TIG welder has started arriving. We currently have the gun and hoses. When Chris delivers the rest, we will send him a check for a Prusa as the board previously voted to do.
- There was interest in holding a Snow Day again, like we did pre-pandemic.
- December 3rd, from 2-6pm was the decided date and time.
- This event is scheduled for October 22.
- A space clean up will be held on Tuesday, October 11. The Metal Shop stewards discussed options for this.
- The event will mostly use the Metal Shop area, although it may also use the Textiles area for leather stuff. Dave said he will open the autoshop for the event too.
- The Secretary wants some cred for not labeling this section "Hammer Time."
- While discussing our insurance coverage, the possibility of burning the entire building down was mentioned. "Why did you all look at me?" - Carlin
- "It corners like a pregnant cow on ice." - Description of the steering on an old sports car.
- Did You Know: You too can install a Volkswagen beetle engine in a Porsche 356 with very little modification!